Writing Groups & Mentoring
Individual or co-author coaching available now. Check back in May for information on summer writing group opportunities.
Are you working on an article that you just can’t seem to wrap your head around? Or do you know you want to write more but aren’t sure how to gets started? Writing is an important piece of an academic’s career but also sometimes be the most daunting.
Good writers know that writing is a messy, iterative process. And that the best writing always has a second set of eyes on it.
Work with me, and we’ll create your writing plan using my Scrum framework for academic work and set you on a path to meet your writing goals. I’ll help you plan, draft, revise, and submit articles and essays, respond to reviewer feedback, work on revise and resubmits, and manage any writing projects you might be juggling. I can be as hands-on or as hands-off as you like, depending on your goals and needs.
What Can We Do Together?
- Planning professional and academic submissions for academic media, journals, and presses.
- Organizing and structuring both your writing process and pieces of writing.
- Writing complete drafts of your pieces for feedback and review.
- Understanding and acting on (or not) peer reviewers feedback.
- Shaping for publication by targeting specific venues such as journals or publishers.
- Tailoring your writing process for regular progress and productivity.
- Overcoming perfectionism and imposter syndrome associated with writing and publication.
Why Work with Me as Your Writing Mentor?
- My education and teaching experience. I have an MA and PhD in rhetoric and professional communication as well as 17 years of experience teaching academic, business, technical, proposal, and persuasive writing. I understand qualitative research and can help you shape your data persuasively.
- My academic publication record. I have successfully published in numerous disciplinary and Scholarship of Teaching and Learning journals, as well as the Chronicle of Higher Education and Inside Higher Ed. Two of my peer-reviewed articles were written with undergraduate students. I have guest edited two journal special issues, one on students as partners in teaching research and one on design thinking in professional writing, and have worked closely with journal editors, so I know that they are looking for.
- My book publishing experience. I have successfully shepherded three book proposals to contracts with top-tier academic presses: the University of Chicago Press and Johns Hopkins University Press. My first single-authored faculty development book, Agile Faculty: Practical Strategies for Managing Research, Service, and Teaching, was published in 2017, and the collection I co-edited, Redesigning Liberal Education: Innovative Design for a Twenty-First Century Liberal Education, was released in 2020. I am currently under contract for a book on faculty burnout with Johns Hopkins.
- My developmental editing skills. As a faculty member, writer, and editor, I’ve worked with hundreds of students and peers to improve the theme, structure, tone, organization, and clarity of their writing. My goal is to bring out the best in the writer so that they can meet and exceed their own expectations.
Is Writing Mentoring Right For You?
Let’s find out! Complete the interest form below, or schedule a free discovery session to discuss your goals. Service range in price from $150 for individual one-hour consultations to $1000 for a monthly retainer plan.
Interested? Want to learn more? Let’s talk!